Outdoor Opportunities and Happenings Calendar
Our T3 Partners and friends share upcoming events with us that would be great fun for Outing Clubs and individual teens ... and we gladly pass them along to you! We leave it up to you to search out details of these activities and get up-do-date information by following the links provided. Have fun!
Ongoing LLBean Skills Workshops and Outings
Interested in a custom skills workshop for your club afterschool or one weekend? LLBean would be happy to work with you to design what you are looking for. Contact Laurie Gilman at 207-552-7733 or LGilman@llbean.com for more information
Early Fall Volunteer Opportunities with the Maine Conservation Corps
Baxter State Park (Marston and North Brother Trails): Tuesday, September 9th - Thursday, September 11th; Tuesday, September 16th - Thursday, September 18th; Tuesday, September 23rd - Thursday, September 25th; and Tuesday, September 30th - Thursday, October 2nd. Re-route steep sections of trail on the Marston and North Brother trails, including corridor clearing, tread work and stone work where needed.
East Baldpate, Appalachian Trail (Andover/Newry region): Wednesday, September 3rd - Monday, September 8th; Tuesday, September 16th - Monday, September 22nd; and Tuesday, September 30th - Thursday, October 2nd. Construct stones stairs on steep sections of trail.
Eagle Rock (Big Moose Township, near Greenville): Wednesday, September 3rd - Monday, September 8th. Construct bog bridging on wet sections of trail as needed. Construct stone stairs
Baxter State Park (Chimney Pond Trail): Tuesday, September 16th - Thursday, September 18th; Tuesday, September 23rd - Thursday, September 25th. Replace wooden structures with stone checks steps and stone stairs. Construct waterbars where needed.
Number 4 Mountain (Near Lily Bay State Park): Tuesday, September 30th - Thursday, October 2nd. Installation of drainage structures, re-routing trail, tread work, and stone work.
Aroostook State Park (Presque Isle): Tuesday, September 9th - Monday, September 15th and Tuesday, September 23rd - Monday, September 29th. Stone steps, corridor maintenance, surfacing trail.
Big Spencer Mountain (near Kokadjo): Tuesday, September 16th - Thursday, September 18th and Tuesday, September 23rd - Monday, September 29th. Small re-routes on lower section of mountain. Installation of stone stairs.
Deboullie Trails (Northwest Aroostook): Tuesday, September 9th - Monday, September 15th and Tuesday, September 23rd - Monday, September 29th. Stone work, corridor maintenance.
September 6 - Baxter Outdoors Mt. Abram Ascent
- On the eastern flanks of the White Mountains, this 5-mile race will take runners up and over the nearly 2,000' summit of Mt. Abram affording them dramatic views of the neighboring Speckled Mountain Wilderness and Mahoosuc Range. Taking place on ski trails and single track hiking trails, racers will gain over 1000' of elevation in this mountainous course designed to challenge racers while entrenching them in the solitude of Maine's wilderness. Learn more!
September 13 - Mars Hill Mountain Challenge at Bigrock Mountain
- Mars Hill Mountain Challenge is an adventure obstacle race hosted at Bigrock Mountain. The challenge features the alpine terrain of Bigrock Mountain Ski Area with a variety of natural and man-made obstacles over a 5 kilometer course with plenty of elevation gain. If your looking for an event that will push you to the limit this is for you. More information.
September 16th-21st 5-Day Wilderness First Responder at Maine Sport
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is the definitive course in medical training for outdoor educators, guides, SAR team members, and others who work or play in remote areas. The curriculum is comprehensive and practical, including all of the essential principles and skills required to assess and manage medical problems in isolated and extreme environments. The 5-day format is for individuals and sponsors with less time available for on-site training and requires 25 hours of pre-course preparation. Maine Sport Outfitters - Gay Island Lodge Friendship, ME 04547 More info
September 20th - 12 Hours of Bradbury
- The 8th Annual 12 Hour Race is just around the corner! Looking forward to another great event at Bradbury Mountain State Park! Get your teams together and registered by Friday September 12th. Our Custom Hoodies are available as well with $5 from each purchase donated to Greater Portland NEMBA. More Here
September 20 - Maine Huts and Trails and Baxter Outdoors Backwoods Triathlon
- Tempted to try an endurance race? This 22-mile triathlon includes a 4-mile paddle on NFCT’s Flagstaff Lake. Learn more at www.baxteroutdoors.com
September 20 - Downeast Adventure Race
- Time: 8:00am.
Location: Washington County Community College, 1 College Drive, Calais, ME
Registration: Pre Registration Required, Early Bird Deadline August 29th, Full Price Deadline September 17th
Contact: Christopher Woodside, firstname.lastname@example.org, 207-214-3152
Website: http://www.wccc.me.edu See Website for More Information
The Downeast Adventure Race is a four part race that involves 12.3 Miles of Mtn. Biking, 3.6 Miles of Whitewater Canoeing, 2.3 Miles of Running, and 2.9 Miles of Sea Kayaking. This is an event for all skill and experience levels and can be done as an individual, a 4 person relay, as a 3 person team or, new this year, as a relay team of 2 where 1 member does the land portions of the race and the second member does the water portions of the race. Also if you don't fit neatly into any of these categories you can always sign up in Open Division, (this can be any combination of people doing each section) The race also includes navigation and team challenges
Limited Equipment Available to Rent: First Come First Served Basis
Pricing: Early Bird: $25/Person, Full Price: $35/Person (Support Person not included in race fee; i.e team of 3 with support person would pay $75 Early Bird or $105 Full Price)
September 26 - Association of Maine Outing Clubs Advior Conference
- Join us for our second advisor conference September 26th at the brand new LLBean paddling center in Freeport. The day will feature time on the water in a sample Outing Club trip, as well as round table discussions on important Outing Club topics ranging from student leadership, fundraising, sustainability, trip planning and more. More information and to register now: http://www.teenstotrails.org/AMOCConference
September 26-28th and October 3rd-5th - Maine Outdoor Leadership/Recreation Guide Preparation Course at LLBean
Our comprehensive six-day course will teach you everything you need to be an outdoor guide, including information about the business of guiding, outdoor safety and risk management. In our six-day guide preparatory course, you'll learn a range of technical guiding skills to prepare you for leading day and overnight trips for backcountry camping, backpacking, snowshoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddling, canoeing and more. Our course is taught by Registered Maine Guides who'll share their wisdom and guiding experiences. You'll learn the foundational concepts of guiding and all the necessary outdoor skills you'll need for safely leading clients in the Maine woods. They'll review the various laws governing the outdoors and how to prepare for canoeing, hiking and winter camping trips. You'll practice lost-person scenarios and be trained in search-and-rescue techniques – essential for responsible guides. You'll also learn map skills and how to effectively use a compass and GPS. You'll round out your knowledge with instruction on reading the weather, plus tips on trip planning, camp cooking and Leave No Trace® principles. And even if you're not planning to be a guide, our course is simply the best way to enhance your outdoor skills and knowledge. Friday 9/26 5 p.m. - 9 p.m, Saturday 9/27 9 a.m. - 5 p.m, Sunday 9/28 9 a.m. - 5 p.m, Friday 10/3 5 p.m. - 9 p.m, Saturday 10/4 9 a.m. - 5 p.m, Sunday 10/5 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. More info
September 26-28th - Great Maine Outdoor Weekend
- The Great Maine Outdoor Weekend is a series of events led by outdoor oriented organizations and companies to celebrate the how, where, and what of being active outside in Maine. Our goal is to connect our friends and neighbors with the natural world, to promote fun, physical activity, & good health.Activities will occur across the entire state of Maine, in all counties.Many activities will be free and at an introductory level. Find events near you at: http://greatmaineoutdoorweekend.org/
October 4- Northern Outdoors 10k
- Best known for its whitewater opportunities, The Forks is also home to an impressive collection of scenic trails. The Northern Outdors 10k will follow a 6 - mile section on one such trail, the FAST trail (Forks Area Scenic Trail). The FAST Trail, which also doubles as the historic Old Canada Road, hugs the eastern shore of the Kennebec River, intermittently dipping into the surrounding forest. The terrain is relatively flat and oftentimes over gravel, but the trail does have a significant amount of rolls and is sure to get your blood pumping. Shuttle transportation to the start of the one-way course will be provided by Northern Outdoors. The race will finish back at the lodge/parking area. Learn More!
November 14-17th WAFA to WFR Bridge at LLBean
- The WAFA to WFR Bridge course upgrades the Wilderness Advanced First Aid to a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) in 4 days. This course must be taken within 3 years of receiving the WMA International WAFA certification or an equivalent from another provider. The WFR is the definitive medical training course for all outdoor professionals and enthusiasts. This course may be used as a recertification for those holding a current WFR certification or equivalent from another provider whose original WFR training was at least 64 hours in length. Current WMA International Wilderness EMTs may also use this course to recertify the wilderness portion of their certification. $329.00 Course in Freeport Maine. More info
Teens To Trails does not specifically endorse or take responsibility for the events listed in “Outdoor Happenings.” They are simply events we have come across that we think might interest you!