Outdoor Opportunities and Happenings Calendar
Our T3 Partners and friends share upcoming events with us that would be great fun for Outing Clubs and individual teens ... and we gladly pass them along to you! We leave it up to you to search out details of these activities and get up-do-date information by following the links provided. Have fun!
May LL Bean FREE Skills Workshops
- MAY 17, May 18, MAY 19 L.L.Bean Camping Weekend
Get ready for a great new season of outdoor fun with
free clinics and product demonstrations throughout
our stores. On Saturday and Sunday you’ll find fun,
hands-on activities for kids of all ages.
- MAY 21Tuesday: 7:00 p.m. Success Strategies for Camping & Hiking With Kids
Learn time-tested strategies for instilling a love of the
outdoors in your children. You'll leave this clinic in our
camping department knowing how to make hiking and
camping fun for the whole family.
- MAY 21Tuesday: 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Great Places to Paddle
Please join us at the Bike, Boat & Ski Store to discuss
some of the wonderful local places to paddle.
- MAY 23 Thursday: 7:00 p.m. Basic Map & Compass Navigation
Even with modern technology, the best foundation for
navigation know-how is still having map and compass
skills. Come learn how to stay on course with our
experts. Camping Department.
- MAY 23 Thursday: 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Basic Bike Road Repair
Learn how to do basic repairs while out on the trail or
road. Bring your bike and we will teach you how to fix
a flat tire and a broken chain. This is a great chance
to ask our mechanics questions you have about basic
roadside repair. Limited to 3. Please call our Bike,
Boat & Ski Store to sign up - 1-207-552-7670.
- MAY 29 Wednesday: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Mountain Bike Ride
Meet at Bradbury State Park and ride the trails with
us. Please call the Bike, Boat & Ski Store prior to the
ride 1-207-552-7670. At times the park delays
opening if the trails are too wet. Please note: Fee
required for entrance to the park.
- MAY 30 Thursday: 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. How to Select the Perfect Road Bike
Do you feel overwhelmed when you walk into a bike
shop? We will start from the very basics and tailor this
hour to suit your needs. Bring your questions to the
Bike, Boat & Ski Store and we will help get you going
down the right road. Limit 3. Call 1-207-552-7670 to
May 29-June 1, 2013 -Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) at Chewonki in Wiscasset
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid is a comprehensive medical training course designed for outdoor recreationalists or wilderness trip leaders who venture into moderately remote and challenging environments. The content is significantly more detailed than the Wilderness First Aid course, including emphasis on common critical body system problems and environmental topics. Cost: $400, $525 with room and board. More info
June 1st - 9th, 2013 Wilderness First Responder with the Maine Winter Sports Center in Presque Isle
- This is a nationally recognized program that trains participants to respond to emergencies in remote settings. The 80-hour curriculum includes standards for urban and extended care situations. Special topics include but are not limited to: wound management and infection, realigning fractures and dislocations, improvised splinting techniques, patient monitoring and long term management problems, up-to-date information on all environmental emergencies, plus advice on drug therapies. Emphasis is placed on prevention and decision-making, not the memorization of lists. This course is designed specifically to provide you with the tools to make critical medical and evacuation decisions in remote locations. Half of your time will be spent completing practical skills, case studies and scenarios designed to challenge your decision making abilities. Adult CPR is included in this course. More info.
June 3-6, 2013 WAFA to WFR Bridge (Wilderness First Responder) at Chewonki in Wiscasset
- The WAFA to WFR Bridge course upgrades the WMA™ Wilderness Advanced First Aid to a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) in 4 days. This course must be taken within three years of receiving the Wilderness Medical Associates' WAFA certificate. The WFR is the definitive medical training course for all outdoor professionals and enthusiasts. Cost: $400, $525 with room and board. More info
June 8th, Reel Paddling Film Festival Hosted by Northern Outdoors and the Northern Forest Canoe Trail
- From the tip of South America to the Ganges to Los Angeles, this year’s Reel Paddling Film Festival provides worldwide inspiring canoe, kayak and SUP adventures. Saturday June 8th 7pm at Northern Outdoors in The Forks. For more information.
June 13-17, Topsham Maine- ACA Instructor Certification workshop for Level 1 – 3 Canoeing with Outdoor Leader Trainers of America
- This 5 day course will help you prepare and test for ACA instructor certification. Skills covered include: Teaching methods for canoeing, stroke work, and video analysis of your paddling skills, rescue work, group management scenarios and more. Successful candidates will be certified as ACA canoe instructors at the end of this workshop. (Note: The Level 1 ICW is the first 3 days of this workshop only.) Pre registraion is required. For more information: Bob Myron, 207-720-0257, firstname.lastname@example.org, on the web: www.oltoa.com
June 22 & 23, Brunswick Maine- ACA Drills for Skills and Tides and Currents workshop with Outdoor Leader Trainers of America
- On day 1 we will focus on maximizing boat control in a flat-water environment and on day 2 we will move to a more dynamic environment and put the skills to use as you build confidence in crossing currents, understanding ferries and back ferries, eddy turns and peel outs and more, Join us for either day or both days! If you are an ACA instructor this course can be used as an update. Pre registraion is required. For more information: Bob Myron, 207-720-0257, email@example.com, on the web: www.oltoa.com
- This summer, in collaboration with Teens To Trails, Healthy Hometowns will select nine students from high schools around the state to take part in the ultimate Maine summer adventure...From June 24th to 29th join a group of your peers as you travel through the heart of the Debsconeag Wilderness, one of Maine's most impressive backcountry destinations. We will spend the first two days travelling by canoe before swapping paddles for backpacks as we follow the Appalachian Trail deep through the 100 Mile Wilderness.We will travel, camp and work together as a group to complete our journey. Along the way we will be learning and practicing skills such as trip planning, navigation, backpacking, backcountry cooking, flatwater canoeing, minimal impact travel and more. No previous experience is necessary, just the desire to learn and share your enthusiasm for adventure! Price: $25! - includes equipment, food, transportation, and instruction. In addition, upon completion of the trip participants will design outdoor-based service projects to be executed during the 2013-14 school year with the help of Healthy Hometowns and Teens To Trails. Click HERE for more information. Applications due by MAY 15th.
Summer Youth Offerings from the Northern Forest Canoe Trail -Northern Forest Explorers Youth Program
- Maine dates: Eustis/Stratton (Flagstaff Lake), July 29–Aug. 2, Rockwood/Greenville (West Branch Penobscot), Aug. 5–9, Fort Kent/Allagash (Allagash River), July 22–26. For youth ages 10-14 that live in communities along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Participants go on week-long paddling trips that support outdoor educational experiences, healthy lifestyles, cultivate leadership and teamwork skills, and foster a practical understanding of the natural environment. More information here.
Norther Forest Canoe Trails' Summer Waterway Work Trips
NFCT’s Waterway Work Trips get amazing results. If you enjoy trail work, camaraderie, and paddling on the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, then sign up for a WWT. Registration is $60 members/$75 non-members and covers the cost of five meals. Visit our interactive 2013 Waterway Work Trip Map for details. Follow the links to register for trips that still have space:
October 12-13th – Columbus Day Weekend, Third Biennial Acadia Outing Club Rendezvous
- Teens To Trails is again partnering with Acadia National Park to offer this weekend of fun outdoor activity for Outing Clubs. This biennial event is a rare opportunity for both new & experienced Outing Clubs to camp & cook alongside each other, hike, bike, rock climb & explore one of the nation's premier national parks. Outing Club Advisors from participating schools attend two planning meetings in preparation for the Rendezvous weekend next fall. The event is currently full, contact Jane if you would like to be put on the waiting list.
Teens To Trails does not specifically endorse or take responsibility for the events listed in “Outdoor Happenings.” They are simply events we have come across that we thought we would share!