Outdoor Opportunities and Happenings Calendar
Our T3 Partners and friends share upcoming events with us that would be great fun for Outing Clubs and individual teens ... and we gladly pass them along to you! We leave it up to you to search out details of these activities and get up-do-date information by following the links provided. Have fun!
Ongoing LLBean Skills Workshops and Outings
Interested in a custom skills workshop for your club afterschool or one weekend? LLBean would be happy to work with you to design what you are looking for. Contact Laurie Gilman at 207-552-7733 or LGilman@llbean.com for more information
December 5th AMOC Winter Trip Lottery Drawing
- The trip lottery is CLOSED! Check back in February for the Spring Trip Lottery options. http://www.teenstotrails.org/TripLottery.
December 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th or 19th and January 8th, 9th, 14th or 15th
Outing Club Guided Tours of Maine Rock Gym's New Facility
- Maine Rock Gym and EVO Rock & Fitness are opening a new Climbing & Fitness Center on 65 Warren Avenue in Portland. It is scheduled to open in late January 2015 and will be equipped with: 16,000 square feet of climbing, top off bouldering wall, lead climbing, speed climbing wall, rappel wall, slack line, cardio equipment, and free weights.
- Schedule a behind the scenes hard hat tour prior to opening exclusive to Outing Clubs!
- Email Keith Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a 3pm, 4pm or 5pm tour.
- Tours are available for December 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th and January 8th, 9th, 14th or 15th.
January 10-11th AMOC Winter Skills Workshop at Maine Huts and Trails Flagstaff Hut
- The Association of Maine Outing Clubs' Winter Skills workshop will be the third in a series of leadership and skills development workshops arranged through Teens To Trials' Assciation of Maine Outing Clubs. AMOC serves as a network and resource for the advisors and student leaders of Maine's high school Outing Clubs. The Winter Skills workshop will be taught by experts from the Maine Winter Sports Center and hosted by Maine Huts and trails and aims to introduce and continue to develop the skills necessary to safely and confidently lead groups of teens in the outdoors in the winter in Maine. Topics covered will include planning and preparing for winter adventure, the additional safety precautions needed in winter weather, travel by ski and snowshow through winter terrain, building winter shelters and more. The day time will be spent in the field around Maine Huts and Trails' Flagstaff hut, while the evening will include classroom time. For the schedule and to register go to: www.teenstotrails.org/WinterSkills
January 25th 4th Annual Liberal Cup Biathlon @ Hidden Valley Nature Center
- Have you ever x-country skied and shot at a target while in a costume? Not yet? Well here is your chance. At this fun-filled, safety-first event at Hidden Valley Nature Center you can compete as an individual or a team or just try your hand and legs at a biathlon for the first time. The Maine Winter Sports Center will be on hand with their equipment trailer so if you don't have your own skis, no sweat! Borrow some for the race, no charge. Southern Maine Biathlon Club will be there too, to train racers in the use of the rifles and supervise the shooting range. No experience necessary - beginners are welcome in this fun race. Make sure to register early since there are limited spots and you don't want to miss out! More information here.
February 1st & March 1st Outing Club Sunday Ski Days @ Mt. Abram
- T3 Special Partnership Group Discounts: $32 Adult Lift Ticket; $25 Student Lift Ticket; $14/$18 Ski or Snowboard Rental Equipment; $5 Helmet rental; $42 Learn to Ski or Ride; $12 Tubing.
- Box lunches available for $5.50. Must order when signing up. Must sign up with Meghan (email@example.com) by Wednesday January 28th and Wednesday February 28th respectively.
February 8th & March 8th Outing Club Sunday Ski Days @ Sugarloaf
- T3 Special Partnership Group Discounts: $45 Adult Lift Ticket; $35 Student Lift Ticket; $25 Ski or Snowboard Rental Equipment; $5 Helmet rental; $62 Learn to Ski or Ride For those who can’t stop or turn, the package includes a learning area lift ticket, special rental equipment fitted for beginners and a 2 hour lesson with our Perfect Turn Coach who specializes in making learning and turning a success and fun! This program starts promptly at 10 am and must be reserved in advance. $25 Perfect Turn Clinic: 90 min lesson, starts at 10:15 am, meets at the Perfect Turn Hut.
- Outing Clubs will receive one complimentary lift ticket for every 10 lift tickets purchased. Must sign up with Meghan (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Wednesday February 4th and Wednesday March 4th respectively.
March 14th Winter Cowboy 5K Snowshoe & Snowrun @ Mt. Abram
- Throw on some snowshoes, sneakers, boots, you name it and don't forget a costume for this foot race through the recreational trails at Mt. Abram presented by Baxter Outdoors, sponsored by Delorme and proceeds benefit Teens To Trails (for every mile that is run/walked, $1 will be donated to T3)! $25 early bird entry (until March 1st), $30 regular pricing, or $59 for a whole day of fun skiing at Mt. Abram too! For more information check out the event's website.
May 16-17th Spring Thing @ The Forks
- Come Outing Clubs one and all, near and far for a weekend of F-U-N! Join fellow outing club student leaders and members from across the great state of Maine in activities like white water rafting, canoeing, hiking, biking, fishing, survival skills, camping out and much more at The Forks! More information to come! Until then check out last year’s offerings and photos at http://www.teenstotrails.org/SpringThing2014.
Teens To Trails does not specifically endorse or take responsibility for the events listed in “Outdoor Happenings.” They are simply events we have come across that we think might interest you!