Outdoor Opportunities and Happenings Calendar
Our T3 Partners and friends share upcoming events with us that would be great fun for Outing Clubs and individual teens ... and we gladly pass them along to you! We leave it up to you to search out details of these activities and get up-do-date information by following the links provided. Have fun!
Ongoing LLBean Skills Workshops and Outings
Interested in a custom skills workshop for your club afterschool or one weekend? LLBean would be happy to work with you to design what you are looking for. Contact Laurie Gilman at 207-552-7733 or LGilman@llbean.com for more information
Fall Volunteer Opportunities with the Maine Conservation Corps
Baxter State Park (Marston and North Brother Trails): Tuesday, October 21st -Thursday, October 23rd; Tuesday, October 28th - Thursday, October 30th. Re-route steep sections of trail on the Marston and North Brother trails, including corridor clearing, tread work and stone work where needed.
East Baldpate, Appalachian Trail (Andover/Newry region): Construct stones stairs on steep sections of trail.
Lippman Park Trails (Windham): Tuesday, October 21st -Thursday, October 23rd; Tuesday, October 28th - Thursday, October 30th. Construct elevated boardwalk and two timber bridges.
Number 4 Mountain (Near Lily Bay State Park): Thursday, October 16th - Tuesday, October 21st. Installation of drainage structures, re-routing trail, tread work, and stone work.
York Land Trust (York – various locations): Tuesday, October 28th - Thursday, October 30th. Clearing new trail, installing bog bridges, drainage, and tread maintenance.
Grafton Notch State Park (Newry): Replace existing wooden ladder with stone stairs and drainage maintenance on Table Rock Trail.
Cutler Coast (Cutler): Tuesday, October 21st - Monday, October 27th. Installation of bog bridging and stepping stones in low, wet areas.
Big Spencer Mountain (near Kokadjo): Tuesday, October 21st -Thursday, October 23rd. Small re-routes on lower section of mountain. Installation of stone stairs.
Pettengill Preserve (Hancock): Tuesday, October 28th - Thursday, October 30th. Clearing new trail, installation of bog bridges.
Tunk Mountain (Cherryfield): Tuesday, October 21st - Monday, October 27th. Installation of stone steps near summit of mountain.
October 24th, 7pm - Inspirational Hunting & Fishing Stories by TV Show Host and Guide Tom Ackerman
- Join Tom Ackerman for an evening of inspirational hunting & fishing stories at our retail store. Tom’s outdoor career has spanned four decades, including almost two at L.L. Bean where he honed his skills and developed his passion for helping people enjoy the outdoors. He went on to start Classic Connections a specialty travel business featuring some of the best sporting properties in the world. As host of ESPN’s New American Sportsman, Tom traveled the world with some of the biggest newsmakers of the day. His relaxed style, good humor and story-telling will make for a memorable evening. 7-8pm at the LLBean Flagship store in Freeport.
October 27-28th - 4th Annual Maine Youth Leadership Summit in Augusta
The Maine Youth Leadership Summit is a two-day overnight event that gathers together hundreds of youth in grades 7-12, from Maine and beyond, and their adult partners who are working together to create positive change. Use your voice; Get inspired and inspire others; Develop leadership skills; Take what you have learned and creat positive change in your community.The Youth Leadership Summit is tailored to meet the needs of all participants by providing them opportunities to build stronger teams, grow as leaders and advocates, and learn about the health & wellness issues that matter most to them. Attending youth groups will leave this event feeling empowered, engaged, and committed to their plans for making lasting and measurable changes in their communities. October 27th and 28th, 2014. Monday: 11AM-4:30PM, 7:30-9PM Tuesday: 9AM-3:30PM More info at www.myan.org
November 14-17th WAFA to WFR Bridge at LLBean
- The WAFA to WFR Bridge course upgrades the Wilderness Advanced First Aid to a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) in 4 days. This course must be taken within 3 years of receiving the WMA International WAFA certification or an equivalent from another provider. The WFR is the definitive medical training course for all outdoor professionals and enthusiasts. This course may be used as a recertification for those holding a current WFR certification or equivalent from another provider whose original WFR training was at least 64 hours in length. Current WMA International Wilderness EMTs may also use this course to recertify the wilderness portion of their certification. $329.00 Course in Freeport Maine. More info
November 21-22 Association of Maine Outing Clubs Wilderness First Aid
- This year Teens To Trails' Association of Maine Outing Clubs will offer a 2 day Wilderness First Aid Class at the Bowdoin Outing Club all day Friday and Saturday November 21-22nd. We recommend WFA as a minimum first aid certification for Outing Club leaders and hope that you will join us for this fun and extremely useful course! AMOC members will receive priority registration until October 20th. Please note all participants must be at least 16 by the start of the course. More information and registration here.
December 5th AMOC Winter Trip Lottery Drawing
- The trip lottery will open on Monday November 17th. You may enter for as many trips as you like, but you can only be drawn for one. For more details on the available trips and their descriptions go to http://www.teenstotrails.org/TripLottery. Trips will continue to be added until the opening date.
January 10-11th AMOC Winter Skills Workshop at Maine Huts and Trails Flagstaff Hut
- The Association of Maine Outing Clubs' Winter Skills workshop will be the third in a series of leadership and skills development workshops arranged through Teens To Trials' Assciation of Maine Outing Clubs. AMOC serves as a network and resource for the advisors and student leaders of Maine's high school Outing Clubs. The Winter Skills workshop will be taught by experts from the Maine Winter Sports Center and hosted by Maine Huts and trails and aims to introduce and continue to develop the skills necessary to safely and confidently lead groups of teens in the outdoors in the winter in Maine. Topics covered will include planning and preparing for winter adventure, the additional safety precautions needed in winter weather, travel by ski and snowshow through winter terrain, building winter shelters and more. The day time will be spent in the field around Maine Huts and Trails' Flagstaff hut, while the evening will include classroom time. More information to follow.
May 16-17th Spring Thing @ The Forks
- Come Outing Clubs one and all, near and far for a weekend of F-U-N! Join fellow outing club student leaders and members from across the great state of Maine in activities like white water rafting, canoeing, hiking, biking, fishing, survival skills, camping out and much more at The Forks! More information to come! Until then check out last year’s offerings and photos at http://www.teenstotrails.org/SpringThing2014.
Teens To Trails does not specifically endorse or take responsibility for the events listed in “Outdoor Happenings.” They are simply events we have come across that we think might interest you!